Photobucket

Saturday, March 13, 2010

My True Nature

I've come to realise I prefer to ride solo. Why? For a few reasons. Mainly self-preservation. In a group, there is a tendency for people including myself to do stupid things. This might invovle running a red light or squeezing between cars all for the sake of staying with the group.
After commuting for some time, I've come up with my own set of principles. I follow ALL traffic laws. This means I do not run red lights even when there are no cars or pedestrains in sight, I dismount when going on the pavement and when crossing the road. I do not pick and choose what laws are convenient for me.
It really defeats the purpose of cycling with a buddy especially when said buddy runs a red light and there I am waiting for it to turn green. Or when he squeezes between cars to get ahead while I queue patiently behind.

I've also come up with my own set of rules when cycling on the road. For example, I cycle on the double yellow line and move farther out only when there is a slip road ahead. At traffic lights, I take the lane and queue up like any other vehicle instead of squeezing my way to the front. And if there are heavy vehicles like buses or trucks that are unable to pass because of me, I usually move into a bus stop or anywhere safe to let them pass. Its better than having the driver behind the wheel of a heavy vehicle getting impatient.

Maybe Im just too "kiasee", but hey, Im not trying to be badass like fixie riders, weaving in and out of traffic on the road in the city area for god knows what reason. Or like the racer today at the junction of Pasir Ris Drive 3 and Elias Rd. I was waiting at the red light watching this guy stray into the middle of the cross junction. Not wanting to unclip from his SPDs is the only reason I can think of for his stupid act. At least his 2 other friends were sane enough to unclip and wait for the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails